As we enter the season of hosting parties, making goodies, and gathering as a family (including our fur babies), let’s talk about how to keep our four-legged family members safe for the holidays.
Here is a list of popular holiday treats and decor that should be avoided by cats and dogs:
🐱Tinsel – This shiny decoration may seem like a fun toy for cats, but if accidentally ingested can cause severe damage to their intestinal tract.
🐶 Chocolate – Highly toxic to both cats and dogs. Small amounts can cause vomiting and diarrhea while larger amounts can cause seizures and heart issues.
🐱 Fresh Mistletoe & Lilies – Avoid having these live plants around cats. Ingestion can cause gastrointestinal problems, heart issues, and kidney failure.
🐶 Grapes, raisins, & currants – Keep the fruit cake and charcuterie tray away from your dogs as these are known to cause kidney failure.
🐱 Alcohol – Even baked goods containing alcohol may result in stomach problems and alcohol toxicity.
🐶 Hand warmers – Keep these away from curious pups who might want a taste. Eating unused hand warmers can cause internal burns and pose a choking hazard.
If you believe your pet has eaten something they shouldn’t, please call the Animal Poison Control at 888-426-4235. For more information visit https://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/pet-owners/seasons/winter-holiday-pet-poison-tips/
Wishing you a safe and happy holiday season!